Sunday, October 11, 2009

Letter from Bill Kuhn

I played on the HM Varsity team for 2 years. Jon, who was 2 years younger, played both years with me. Needless to say, he was pretty good at football at a young age. Good enough that he could hang with the big boys...RELATIVELY big that is! I could go on and on about the great plays he made on the field but most of all, I remember his attitude off the field. His infectious outgoing attitude. He was never scared. He was one of the most real individuals I have ever met. He stood up for what he believed in. He motivated others with his jovial locker banter...he always had a joke to play on an upper classman and wasnt afraid to back down when things got ugly. Everyone liked him no matter who. I can still remember his laugh to this day...that loud cackle that no matter how much you felt down or upset, put a smile on your face. He loved his teammates. He would always stick up for them on and off the field. I remember times when he would catch the back of guys in MY grade. Imagine that. His loyalty was unmatched. He was someone you wanted on your team. I can't say enought about that.

I also had the fortune of hanging out with Jon in Florida at the Boca Raton Beach Resort. On typical day we would wake up at 2pm, call each other, meet up by the pool, order breakfast and gawk at girls. When we saw a pretty girl walk by, jon and I would look at eachother, wink, and smile...that smile would turn into a laugh when we dared eachother to go over to her and say something embarrasing or to that effect. When the sun went down, we would retire for our daily naps. After that we would wake up for dinner and do it all over again at the bar that night, intermittenly driving around listening to Biggie Smalls in my car. Jon loved Biggie. He is the only person besides me who knew all the words to every song. We spent several weeks carrying on like this. Tough life for us as you can tell.

What is the message I am sending you? That Jon was nothing short of the man and his memory, all the good memories, should live on in all of you that knew him. For those that didn't know him, I hope I painted a picture so that you can imagine what an awesome guy he was. In the words of his favorite rapper: How you living biggie smalls? In mansion and benzes, giving endz to my friendz and it feels stupendous.
I hope you're living in mansion and benzes, Jon.

We all love you.
-Bill Kuhn

No comments:

Post a Comment